We could all use a few more dollars in our pocket and being informed about all of your options concerning your car insurance is one way to free up some cash. The most important thing when it comes to insurance is having the coverage you need at a price you can afford. No one wants to sacrifice on coverage that you need because your budget is tight. One way to avoid compromising is to ensure that you are getting all of the discounts that are available to you.
Here are a few situations that will benefit you while searching for savings:
- Home Ownership. Owing a home is attractive to an Auto Insurance company because it displays a level of responsibility. It is statistically proven that homeowners file less auto claims and this allows them to pass some of those savings on to you. If you are a home owner, check with your agent and make sure that you are getting this discount.
- Combining home and auto Insurance. As mentioned before, owning a home is a lower risk and when you combine your auto and home insurance you spread that lower risk out even further. In this situation, you would be insured with the same company. Check with your agent to see if your auto insurance company or your home owner’s insurance company offers coverage for the other and compare the rates.
- Being married. Statistics show that when you are in a domestic partnership, you are less likely to file a claim. This is a small discount, usually around 5%, but it is nice to know that this is available to married couples.
- Good student discount: Several insurance companies will give a discount if you can prove that you have good school attendance and maintain a B average. This is huge since the rates for teen drivers are so high. If you have a student driver, submit their report card to your agent and see the savings add up.
- Being a safe driver. It is certain that if you avoid accidents and tickets, a company will reward you by lowering your insurance rates. These circumstances are typically calculated into your rate but some companies offer specific discounts because you are a safe driver. You can also take safe driving courses for additional discounts as well.
Having knowledge about what discounts are available to you is important to protecting your wallet and since life is always changing, knowledge is money. Insurance protects your assets and the more you know about what is available to you allows you to have the maximum coverage for a lower price. Check with your agent about the coverage you have and if you qualify for any of these discounts, make sure they know so that you can start saving today.
Want to find out how you can save more money on your car insurance? Click here to contact us today!
Shawn is the CFO and Co-Founder of Signature Insurance Group. In addition to his being raised in a family whose involvement in the insurance industry stretches back six generations, he has personally been in the business since 1999.
Shawn enjoys spending time with his wife, Holly, and three sons, Braxton, Hudson, and Maddox.
Shawn can be reached at Shawn@SIGWinder.com.